Forum

The use of words......

The use of words... something I learned today.  

RSS

Lily
 Lily
(@lemoya)
Active Member Admin
07/08/2019 12:00 am  

So I just finished reading another Pilippe Petit book, this time Creativity. You know, it's ridiculous that while writing in a forum I'm changing to Italics when writing the name of a book. 

You would think it would be less... structured and we would ALL be okay with that!

We possibly ALL are not. And so, there were so many takeaways from the book I cannot really begin to recount each. One of the last though, for the sake of remembering, was the use of words. And this is not syntax per sa - more about diction if we must align it in some way. He mentions the use of "I Love You". And how that phrase does not belong to you. It actually belongs to millions of people on a daily basis and well... that he would prefer you feel something greater than a set of used words that are part of the vernacular of the world and not always for good reason. 

I wholeheartedly understand Petit. I actually believe this applies to everything, which I find quite adequately aligned with the use of "I Love You" as an example. When I think of behavior design, I do not want to create something so new and innovative that it is actually uncomfortable. And that happens a lot, actually. We have so many times thought that innovation is reinventing the wheel. It's actually about creating something as simplistic as special. Special is memorable. Special keeps your attention. Special actually matters more than amazing and oh so shiny. And so being unique in saying "would you dare share the time of your life with me" than "want to go out on a date" is actually something that if even staying only for a short moment because the statement is long and we may not remember it, we will always return to as an experience. 

And so... I have decided to move on from Petit books. I am actually writing my own. It's been a process in the most excruciating of ways. I have wanted it completed so much that it hurts to continuously edit. Maybe I should stop editing and simply give the book away for the sake of it being a book with something to say, and not so much as a collection of my personal accomplishment as author. 

We'll see. It's bound to come together soon because I have a deadline and pain always subsides! 

Ciao cara, 

Lily 

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Lily
This topic was modified 2 months ago by Lily

Lily
 Lily
(@lemoya)
Active Member Admin
07/08/2019 1:15 am  

So I've thought about this and this has to do with the use of words but more so the fact that I don't want to talk about things I read without giving credit. 

So I wonder, is anyone really going to count how proper my APA handling is? Even if you don't you know what, I will possibly quote and annotate correctly. Simply because. It's not reciprocal expectation. It's simply respect.

Lily 

ReplyQuote
Lily
 Lily
(@lemoya)
Active Member Admin
17/08/2019 7:40 pm  

The phrase "thank you". Read in an article in Curiosity that the majority of the world does not have a direct translation for the phrase thank you, and that's actually good. 

Considering the workplace, and integration, acculturation, and so many aspects of simple globalization - coming together. Is it really necessary we have a phrase for "thank you"? Not really. At least I don't think it is. Sometimes we are better off saying thank you with a smile. And not pausing. Why pause. Flow. Let the moment happen, and move forward seamlessly. 

The link to the article is above. I suggest if anyone is interested - it's a short read. Also, consider leaving a comment for discussion as to how important you find to say "Thank You" truly is. 

Lily 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register